Next stop: The stratosphere
At Radical, we’re embarking on a mission to revolutionize how we connect and observe our planet. Our focus is on taking aerospace technology to new heights – literally. We are building high-altitude solar-powered aircraft designed to fly continuously in the stratosphere.
To date, we have successfully validated our technology using a subscale solar aircraft, which has flown non-stop for over 24 hours. Now, we are assembling a dynamic team of engineers and builders ready to propel our technology to the next level.
If you’re passionate about advancing innovative technology and love challenging engineering projects, Radical is the startup for you. Join us and push the boundaries of what’s possible.
As a Mechanical Engineer at Radical you will play a key role in the design and development of mechanical systems and flight hardware for Radical’s stratospheric aircraft. You will work on a range of structural and hardware subsystems - seeing them from requirements through to flight testing. You will be based at our office in Seattle, WA, collaborating closely with our small, agile, and interdisciplinary team. You will:
- Conceptualize, design, prototype and test mechanical systems for solar-powered aircraft including structural components and aircraft mechanisms.
- Perform analysis and simulation of mechanical systems to ensure reliability and efficiency.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to integrate mechanical systems with electrical and control systems.
- Support construction and integration work for test assemblies and aircraft prototypes.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in mechanical design and analysis, preferably in the aerospace industry
- Proficiency with CAD software (CATIA, NX or similar)
- Experience with carbon fiber composite part design, analysis, and testing
- Experience with electro-mechanical systems including integration of hardware components
- Working knowledge of at least one programming language such as Python
Preferred (but not required) skills:
- Experience with UAV design and common UAV hardware
- Experience with structural/mechanical analysis tools (ANSYS, FEMAP/NASTRAN, etc.)
- Experience with mechanical design for demanding environmental conditions
Radical is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other protected status. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, and we strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our community and promotes inclusion. We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to fostering innovation, collaboration, and success, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees.